Cooking here is:

My photo
First food I have ever made was from the Sesame Street book and I was maybe 7 years old, It was a damn good soup!

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Coffee infused crepes with whipped cream and blueberry jam! Instant classic!

Its been several days, that I had one thought in my mind COFFEE!
Yes I needed to cook something with it, I was thinking ribs or maybe, pork tenderloin...tiramisu...boooring!!!

I do treat my breakfast seriously, we eat it almost everyday, I rather go with savory tastes: omelets, french toasts, BLT's (bacon, lettuce, tomato sandwich ) etc.
I had also an idea to make a little duel between:  french crepes, american pancakes, polish racuchy and russian bliny and later post it in here. So you guys can make them all, and decide which one you like the most (this will happen soon, but not today, so be patient please ).

So in my head: coffee, crepes, coffee, coffee, this idea blended together...EUREKA! 
I made coffee infused crepes, with blueberry jam (unfortunetly I didn't have fresh berries >.< ), all bound together with fluffy whipped cream! I love them, my hubby loved them too. He said: Instant classic.
I try to be modest, but they are heavenly good,  it all just blended perfectly together.
Beautiful breakfast all that you need, to start your day. 
And hey! for those who do not like coffee, give this recipe a chance, the coffee aroma is just in the background wondering around, stimulating your senses! Do it, do it do it! 



you need:
non-stick skillet
2 large bowls
whisk or mixer
sifter

ingredients:

2 large eggs
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup milk
2 up to 2 and 1/2 cups mineral sparkling water 
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon good, ground espresso 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream
1 up to 1 and 1/2 tablespoon of sugar
blueberry jam or fresh blueberries

In a large bowl mix eggs, milk, salt, vanilla extract and a teaspoon of ground espresso, use a good quality coffee
it really makes a difference. Good coffee smells beautiful and leave roasted almost chocolaty flavor.
Sift in 1 cup of flour, stir it in good so you don't have any lumps. Start adding sparkling water, 1 cup mix well, another cup mix well again. Your butter must be runny, almost milky, not thick and heavy. With the coffee bits inside, your mixture will have sexy brown dots and a beautiful aroma.



If u take out coffee and vanilla this is a perfect recipe for simple crepes, you can make any day of the week.
Many recipes call for clarify butter or vegetable oil, I do not add that inside my crepe mixture. If you use a good non-stick skillet you do not need any oil, when doing your golden, delicious treats.
I also do not add sugar, because it makes your crepes stick to the skillet and burn faster. I think your filling should be sweet enough so, you don't need to add sugar to the butter. 

Once your mixture is well blended, leave it to rest for 20-30 min. Flour expands, so your butter may get a bit thicker, if it happens just add more water. By the way, if you don't have sparkling water on hand, use a regular mineral water (Water makes crepes light and almost elastic, if you add only milk they tend to be a bit hard).
The secret to fry them is a good non-stick pan (teflon or ceramic - I use ceramic and its perfect! ). Do not add too much of your mixture on the pan, just enough to cover the bottom. Your pan has to be hot, but do not fry them on high heat. Work the mixture around, by holding the pan and rotating it around, this will help you cover the bottom evenly. When you see that the edges of your flat friend are rising off the pan, time to flip it over.
It really takes only 1-2 min on one side and 1/2 a min on the other side.





After you are done frying your crepes, beat up the heavy cream using your mixer or whisk add sugar and  whisk until nice and stiff.
Do not use the artificial stuff from the can, this is so disgusting and to make a real deal whipped cream takes so little. Do not make it too sweet, that will overpower the other pretty things going on, on your plate.
When all is ready, add your heavy cream on to your crepes, then roll'em, fold'em, flip'em and finish with a dollop of blueberry jam or a handful of blueberries.



Delicate coffee taste, with a fluffy cream and blueberry jam, that goes perfectly with coffee, don't ask me why it just does! That's a match made in  heaven. Perfect beginning of a lazy Sunday or any day of the week.
Yes kids try this at home, you will never regret that! 




1 comment: